What is KIPOnet?
KIPOnet is an integrated information system established to computerize all the administrative processes, from application filing to examination, registration, trial and gazette publication, of the Korean Intellectual Property Office (KIPO) that used to depend on manual labor.
It also provides customized online services that are easy to access for individual applicants and the general public while it serves KIPO's staff members with intelligent search, notice preparation, and electronic approval online.
KIPOnet System Structure
System Development History
Phase 1 (1992-1998) Computerization of Industrial Property Rights Administration
- Development of the foundation for patent administration informatization
- First 7-year Patent Administration Computerization Plan (1992~1998) was established and implemented.
- The basis for an electronic filing system, including the revision of the Patent Act and other related laws (September 1998), was founded.
Phase 2 (1999-2002) Launching of KIPOnet
- Completion of the e-government project in the patent administration area
- The entire process of patent administration was digitized through the launch of the KIPOnet (Jan. 1999).
- Second 3-year Patent Administration Informatization Plan (1999-2001) was established and implemented.
Phase 3 (2003-2005) Development & Operation of KIPOnet II
- Development of the KIPOnet II system, enabling year-round service
- An environment allowing 24/7 electronic filing service and remote examination was realized.
- XML (extensible markup language), a worldwide standard for patent documents, was applied and the online PCT (Patent Cooperation Treaty) system was established.
Phase 4 (2006-2009) Improvement to Ubiquitous KIPOnet
- Realization and Improvement of a ubiquitous KIPOnet
- An electronic civil service environment in which patent information can be accessed and used in real time without the restraints of time and place was completed.
- A global patent document preparation editor (G-Editor) based on the Common Application Format, which is used as an international standard, was developed and distributed.
Phase 5 (2010-2012) KIPOnet III Development
- Development of the KIPOnet III to provide a smart application and examination environment
- An intelligent search function to find technical information needed for examination was strengthened.
- A virtual paper environment was established that featured the electronic memo technology in the patent examination process.
Phase 6 (2019-2021) Development of Intelligent KIPOnet
- Incorporation of artificial intelligent tools into KIPOnet
- AI technology was introduced into image trademark search, design search, similar patent search, patent classification and customer consultation.
- 24/7/365 Non-stop Internet-based electronic filing system
- Electronic application filing through KIPO's e-filing portal ("Teukheo-ro"), electronic application S/W, or paper is available.
- Automation of the entire process of intellectual property (IP) administration
- The entire administration processes of formality/substantive examination, trial, and publication of applications have been computerized
- Employment of an XML-based documentation technique designated by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- A new channel to cooperate with foreign IP offices has been established and an electronic format for documentation has been standardized
- Operation and strengthening of an integrated system
- KIPO's security has been strengthened with the adoption of new IT technologies such as electronic signature based on PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) technology, SSL (Secure Socket Layer)-based transmission technology, and DRM (Digital Rights Management).
- Management of bulky documents
- A paperless office environment has been realized through the document management via digitalization of all kinds of documents including application forms.
- Last updated 12 August 2021
- Intellectual Property Technical Cooperation Division